Аутор Тема: Celebrating accomplished people of Serbian ethnicity, outside of ex-Yugoslavia  (Прочитано 5384 пута)

Ван мреже Michelle Batalo Mills

• Члан Друштва
  • Почетник
  • Поруке: 23
Одг: Celebrating accomplished people of Serbian ethnicity, outside of ex-Yugoslavia
« Одговор #20 послато: април 19, 2020, 10:39:32 поподне »
The New England Patriots used the 77th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft on former Michigan defensive end Chase Winovich, because the physical edge defender knows how to get into the backfield.

But he also has some pretty great, hair, too.

Which didn’t go unnoticed by Nick Caserio, the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots, who had some fun with the hair while speaking to reporters shortly after making the third-round pick.

Caserio and the Patriots, who picked a WR in the first round for the first time under Bill Belichick, are looking forward to getting to work with Winovich.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/nfl-draft-patriots-chase-winovich-hair
NFL draft results: Patriots select DE Chase Winovich with the 77th pick

https://www.b92.net/sport/ekipni/football.php?yyyy=2019&mm=04&dd=27&nav_id=1535484

My very very distant relation to "fame!"  I have him as my DNA match via ancestry.com.  I believe he is a "double" match through his Winovich and Zubasic family to my father's family. 

• Члан Друштва
  • Почетник
Одг: Celebrating accomplished people of Serbian ethnicity, outside of ex-Yugoslavia
« Одговор #21 послато: април 19, 2020, 10:58:28 поподне »
Colonel Mitchell Paige (Serbian: Михајло Пејић, Mihajlo Pejić[1]) (August 31, 1918 – November 15, 2003) was a United States Marine and a recipient of the Medal of Honor from World War II. He received this, the highest military honor awarded by the United States of America, for his actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands on October 26, 1942, where, after all of the other Marines in his platoon were killed or wounded, he operated four machine guns, singlehandedly stopping an entire Japanese regiment.
Paige was born in Charleroi, Pennsylvania. His parents were ethnic Serbs, immigrants from the Herzegovina, originally surnamed Pejić.[2] His mother kept him and his brother in touch with their roots, reminding them of the Battle of Kosovo, but also told them to be proud Americans.[2] His family later moved to the Camden Hills neighborhood of West Mifflin. He graduated from McKeesport High School before enlisting in the US Marines.
In addition to receiving the Medal of Honor, he was also an Eagle Scout and had a G.I. Joe action figure designed in his likeness.[6]

Ван мреже Бећар

• Члан Друштва
  • Помоћник
  • Поруке: 132
  • YDNA: I1-L1237; mtDNA: J1-C13
« Одговор #22 послато: април 20, 2020, 04:13:40 пре подне »
Thanks, Michelle.  I see that middle school in La Quinta, CA, USA is named after him.

Mihajlo Pejić also has his Gen.com site.
https://www.geni.com/people/Colonel-Mitchell-Paige-U-S-M-C-Peji%C4%87/6000000014874998811

• Члан Друштва
  • Почетник
« Одговор #23 послато: мај 24, 2020, 06:21:29 поподне »
Another celebrated Serbian American - Iron Mike Mervosh.  His parents immigrated to America in the early 1900's to the Pittsburgh PA area. 

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-us/notes-museum/iron-mike-mervosh

Mike held the record for longest-serving SNCO (Staff Non-Commissioned Officer) in all services: 19 ½ years. A sought-after speaker, his name graces a large lounge at the Camp Pendleton social center (PVEC) where his memorabilia line the walls and glass cases. His dress blues sit with all of his medals (three Purple Hearts) at the end of the bar.

Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, his family insisted he finished high school before signing up. A fierce competitor in football and boxing, he became the head of his unit on Iwo Jima more than once after senior officers were killed or severely injured. When he received some shrapnel on Iwo and was given morphine, he wiped the M (morphine) off his forehead and ran back to his 4th Marine unit trying to take the airfield to avoid being sent to a hospital ship.

Mike's message was that the battle should never be forgotten. While it serves as the iconic image of the USMC and the Marine Corps War Memorial at Arlington, Virginia, Mervosh declared often: "Every man who fought on that island raised that flag!!!"  (In his case, the smoke made it difficult to see but he almost died when he tried to see it as a bullet whizzed by and another struck his rear.)

Mervosh went on to Korea where his only brother Milan (USMC) died, then Vietnam, providing inspiration to Marines. He finally retired at a Honolulu post and purchased his first home (1977) in Oceanside for his wife and daughter where he quietly passed.

He was buried at Mission San Luis Rey cemetery next to his wife of 54 years on Nov. 10, the USMC birthday.

Ван мреже Бећар

• Члан Друштва
  • Помоћник
  • Поруке: 132
  • YDNA: I1-L1237; mtDNA: J1-C13
« Одговор #24 послато: мај 24, 2020, 08:46:03 поподне »
Based on spelling, Mike's original family name was most likely Mrvoš (Mrvosh). In US emigration records, the village of Tuk (near Karlovac-Lika county borders in Croatia) and declaration of Serbian nationality are the most often listed with family name Mrvoš-Mervosh.

I see similar information here.  https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Mrvo%C5%A1/

• Члан Друштва
  • Почетник
« Одговор #25 послато: мај 24, 2020, 10:18:57 поподне »
You are correct...many original names were lost in translation when immigrating.   I am distantly related to Mike and am in contact with his nephew.  I believe that Mike's dad was Djuro/Gjuro and I see some documents their origin was Delnice.