Аутор Тема: Looking for a Batalo interested in testing - patron St. Basil the Great  (Прочитано 2349 пута)

Ван мреже Michelle Batalo Mills

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
  • Поруке: 98
Looking for a Batalo interested in testing - patron St. Basil the Great
« послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 06:33:25 поподне »
Hi -
* As I have posted here before - my grandfather Batalo (born 1878)  is from Mrzlo Polje with patron St. Basil the Great.
* My brother has taken the Y 111 through ftdna.
* A Batalo who's grandfather was from Gornje Primislje has tested YDNA from ftdna.  I assumed because of village proximity to Mrzlo Polje and same slava that we would be related.  However...we are not at all.
*I have made a relationship with another Batalo that lives in Serbia who has documented his line to 1725 from the Beska region.  They also celebrate the same patron saint.  He has not taken a DNA test.  I didn't pursue it as I went for the closest Batalo geographically to my Batalo.

I am asking if any of you know a Batalo (preferably male) that would be willing to test.

Thank you.
Michelle

Ван мреже Предраг Гојковић

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
  • Поруке: 82
Одг: Looking for a Batalo interested in testing - patron St. Basil the Great
« Одговор #1 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 08:08:45 поподне »
Hi -
* As I have posted here before - my grandfather Batalo (born 1878)  is from Mrzlo Polje with patron St. Basil the Great.
* My brother has taken the Y 111 through ftdna.
* A Batalo who's grandfather was from Gornje Primislje has tested YDNA from ftdna.  I assumed because of village proximity to Mrzlo Polje and same slava that we would be related.  However...we are not at all.
*I have made a relationship with another Batalo that lives in Serbia who has documented his line to 1725 from the Beska region.  They also celebrate the same patron saint.  He has not taken a DNA test.  I didn't pursue it as I went for the closest Batalo geographically to my Batalo.

I am asking if any of you know a Batalo (preferably male) that would be willing to test.

Thank you.
Michelle
          Dear Michelle!   Your brother did a test on 111 markers and his values shoe he could be clous to me genetically. On the list of matches on Ftdna your brother Michael has 6 markers difference of 67 markers from me. It might show that we are genetically close , but for 100% security Michael has to do BigY test. Mr. Sremcevic will soon send you and Michael an email with detailed description of the situation and what still needs to be done. I salute you Gojkovic Predrag

Ван мреже drajver

• Члан Друштва
  • Бели орао
  • Поруке: 5122
« Одговор #2 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 08:13:52 поподне »

Suppose this is Batalo who is I1-M253>FGC21732? He has just joined the Serbian FTDNA project. Anyway I believe that your Batalo line (I2a) is real Batalo line, because you have matches among others tested individuals from Krajina region with the same slava.

Ван мреже Дервента

• Члан Друштва
  • Помоћник
  • Поруке: 169
  • I2-PH908-FT16449-Y126296-FT19919
« Одговор #3 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 09:07:10 поподне »
Dear Michelle,

As Predrag  already pointed out, if your dad belongs to I2-PH908 and has similarity to his results, there is a very high chance that he belongs to a more specific branch FT16449. We already have number of of those who did Big Y test through myFTDNA or similar test by Dante Labs, and these tests can better point where your father's family fits on I2 tree and with whom he might share ancestry at some point in past.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #4 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 09:23:06 поподне »
          Dear Michelle!   Your brother did a test on 111 markers and his values shoe he could be clous to me genetically. On the list of matches on Ftdna your brother Michael has 6 markers difference of 67 markers from me. It might show that we are genetically close , but for 100% security Michael has to do BigY test. Mr. Sremcevic will soon send you and Michael an email with detailed description of the situation and what still needs to be done. I salute you Gojkovic Predrag
Hi!  Thank you for the information.  I will talk to my brother about the Big Y test.  He is fascinated with DNA and I hope he will participate.  Yes...Danilo Sremcevic reached out to connect when my brother first received his results.  How far back do you have your Predrag family researched?  Do you know where they are from?  I realize that our genetic proximity could be ages before you are able to document your family line...but I was just curious.  Michelle

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #5 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 09:26:30 поподне »
Suppose this is Batalo who is I1-M253>FGC21732? He has just joined the Serbian FTDNA project. Anyway I believe that your Batalo line (I2a) is real Batalo line, because you have matches among others tested individuals from Krajina region with the same slava.

Yes!  I just knew I am related to the nobleman from the 1300's!   ;D
You are right...that is the Batalo who has family from Gornje Primislje that is the I1 M253 and just joined the Serbian DNA project. 

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #6 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 09:35:38 поподне »
Hi!  Thank you for the information.  I will talk to my brother about the Big Y test.  He is fascinated with DNA and I hope he will participate.  Yes...Danilo Sremcevic reached out to connect when my brother first received his results.  How far back do you have your Predrag family researched?  Do you know where they are from?  I realize that our genetic proximity could be ages before you are able to document your family line...but I was just curious.  Michelle

I am sorry...I mean Gojkovic

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #7 послато: Септембар 17, 2020, 10:06:28 поподне »
       The oldiest written document with my last name in my father's home village is from 1702. The name of the village is Kip and it is located in Slavonia , today north Croatia. Genetics proved to me that my ancestors came from east Hercegovina ,passed throut central Bosnia and ended up in Slavonia. That migration lasted approximately 400 , 500 years. I mean , i'm not sure my ancestor left Hercegovina 700 , 800 years ago. After your brother's GigY test I'll be able to tell you better if we're genetically close and when our common male ancestor lived.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #8 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 04:04:43 поподне »
I am working on the big test with my brother.  But since Batalo is not uncommon in Serbia....if any of your personally knows a Batalo....and they are open to learning more about their family line, please let me know.   thank you.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #9 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 04:46:04 поподне »
I am working on the big test with my brother.  But since Batalo is not uncommon in Serbia....if any of your personally knows a Batalo....and they are open to learning more about their family line, please let me know.   thank you.
       I understand that you care to find out as much as possible about your surname  , but oldiest Serbian surnames are from today's Croatia , they are not older than 320 , 350 years. There are surnames of former Serbs who are now Croats who are another 150 years older. I have writen this to show that looking for a surname alone  , cannot go much into the past.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #10 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 07:27:37 поподне »
I understood there was mention of Batalo that was a Serb in medieval Bosnia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalo

I also understand that it is definitely not an easy nor linear route to mapping my family line.  I was just using the suggestion of the members at the meeting from yesterday to reach out to the forum to ask if anyone knows a Batalo that might be willing to test.  (when I said I knew  I was from nobility...it was a more of a tongue in cheek/ lol comment to make.  I don't expect to be able to trace my family name back 600+ years.  I would be thrilled if I could get to 1800.

Ван мреже нцп

• Члан Друштва
  • Памтиша
  • Поруке: 1601
« Одговор #11 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 08:38:46 поподне »
I understood there was mention of Batalo that was a Serb in medieval Bosnia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalo

I also understand that it is definitely not an easy nor linear route to mapping my family line.  I was just using the suggestion of the members at the meeting from yesterday to reach out to the forum to ask if anyone knows a Batalo that might be willing to test.  (when I said I knew  I was from nobility...it was a more of a tongue in cheek/ lol comment to make.  I don't expect to be able to trace my family name back 600+ years.  I would be thrilled if I could get to 1800.

There are 4 different families, between Serbs, with the surname Batalo with different family patrons.

Sent Basil the Great
Sent Bartolomeo and Varnava
Sent John the Baptist
Sent Nicholas

https://arhiva.vesti-online.com/Riznica/Vesti/72214/BATALO

Maybe you try some Batalo's family, or information about them, in Serbian orthodox communities  (Serb orthodox church) where they live.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Orthodox_Church

But, the best option for your family Batalo is BIG Y test with 700 markers (FTDNA).

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #12 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 10:24:56 поподне »
Yes...my brother will do the Big Y test. 
Thank you for writing out the different slava for Batalo.  The Batalo on ftdna who did not match me is actually Dusan's son (who wrote that article you reference.)
Is the feast of St. John on Jan 20th?
Batalos in America didn't survive very well.   My dad likes to tell a joke that one of his cousins came over and said there were no pretty girls here so he went back home. 
The only male Batalos are my brother and my father.  A few Batalo men from California Batalos but they claim they are Italian. 
One more possible Batalo that would be Serbian but it appears he is elderly and I have turned over every corner of the internet to try to find contact information for him.
Any other male Batalos have died or changed their name to something I do not know.
I just actually left a message for the SRB Orthodox church in my hometown to see if I can dig up any information from them.  I had discounted any potential benefit they could provide because once the Great Depression hit, they stopped going to church. 
I greatly appreciate your suggestions....maybe the church will have something.  Or maybe I will reach out the Italian Batalo and see if he will take a test.  (Although he may not like his results.)

Ван мреже нцп

• Члан Друштва
  • Памтиша
« Одговор #13 послато: Септембар 18, 2020, 11:32:24 поподне »
Is the feast of St. John on Jan 20th?

Yes!

Very interesting story!

Batal-o is rarely surname (like Cuturil-o)...

But we (Serbs) have the variation surname Batalo-vic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kurir.rs/amp/1305107/sumadijski-stradivarijus-borisu-dobro-mu-ide-ima-i-pomocnika
« Последња измена: Септембар 18, 2020, 11:35:41 поподне на Црвeњском путу »

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #14 послато: Септембар 19, 2020, 01:02:03 пре подне »
Oh thanks for sharing.  Yes...most Serbian Americans I know...last name ends in -ich.  How do you pronounce Batalovic?

For Batalo... Serbs put the sound emphasis on the Ba.  Is it the same for this?  Like BA ta lo vich?

Not to make you cringe but Batalo has been Americanized and is pronounced Ba towl o.   :-\

I double checked my great uncles documents and we definitely celebrated on January 14th.  So it is St. Vasilije for my Batalo. 

Ван мреже нцп

• Члан Друштва
  • Памтиша
« Одговор #15 послато: Септембар 19, 2020, 09:21:16 пре подне »
Oh thanks for sharing.  Yes...most Serbian Americans I know...last name ends in -ich.  How do you pronounce Batalovic?

For Batalo... Serbs put the sound emphasis on the Ba.  Is it the same for this?  Like BA ta lo vich?

Not to make you cringe but Batalo has been Americanized and is pronounced Ba towl o.   :-\

I double checked my great uncles documents and we definitely celebrated on January 14th.  So it is St. Vasilije for my Batalo.

Yes, I understand....
But, very interesting is distribution surnames with Batalo: Batalo, Batalov, Batalo-vic (Баталовић) in Austria- Hungary monarchy. J believe - Serbs.

https://www.radixforum.com/surnames/browse/abc/ba.html