Дискусије на страним језицима > English language subforum

Question about Serbian language

<< < (2/7) > >>

Michelle Batalo Mills:
All very valuable responses.  Thank you.  It has been 35 years or so since I had a few years of latin and....like most things I realize as an adult...I wish I had paid more attention at the time.  :)  But thank you for the link to the quick reference on Serbian cases of declination...it answers my question.
Also very good tip on the search value.  I will do that now.

Nebo:
In Serbian language there’s 7 declination cases of nouns, so the toponyme Mrzlo Polje is declined like this:

Nom: Mrzlo Polje
Gen: Mrzlog Polja
Dat: Mrzlom Polju
Accus: Mrzlo Polje
Voc: Mrzlo Polje
Instr: Mrzlim Poljem
Loc: Mrzlom Polju

Michelle Batalo Mills:
Amazing.  All of you that are bilingual and multilingual are impressive.  I am lucky to be able to use Spanglish to order at a mexican restaurant.

So a male name (normally not ending in A) would end in -a to show genitive case to show origin.
As in Batalo, Damjan (only a male's name) to show the father of would change it to genitive  Batalo, Damjana BOZO
Because Bozo originated/is of from Damjan ? 

I hope that is the correct interpretation. 

But that is only if the father's name ends in a consonant.  I was googling to understand the exception on names like Rade, Marko etc.  Then there is no change to the nominative form to indicate genitive case?

I referenced www.studyserbian.com  they do have a nice pdf that illustrates a table of noun gender and declinations.  But other than saying that Rade, Marko would look like Class 1 neuter but are really Class 1 male...they don't indicate how to change these types of names (male names that end -e or end - o)  to genitive. 

НиколаВук:

--- Цитат: Michelle Batalo Mills  Август 23, 2020, 11:11:43 поподне ---Amazing.  All of you that are bilingual and multilingual are impressive.  I am lucky to be able to use Spanglish to order at a mexican restaurant.

So a male name (normally not ending in A) would end in -a to show genitive case to show origin.
As in Batalo, Damjan (only a male's name) to show the father of would change it to genitive  Batalo, Damjana BOZO
Because Bozo originated/is of from Damjan ? 

I hope that is the correct interpretation. 

But that is only if the father's name ends in a consonant.  I was googling to understand the exception on names like Rade, Marko etc.  Then there is no change to the nominative form to indicate genitive case?

I referenced www.studyserbian.com  they do have a nice pdf that illustrates a table of noun gender and declinations.  But other than saying that Rade, Marko would look like Class 1 neuter but are really Class 1 male...they don't indicate how to change these types of names (male names that end -e or end - o)  to genitive.

--- Крај цитата ---

Genitive case of Rade would be "Rada" or "Radeta", depending on whether you're an Ijekavian (Rada) or Ekavian (Radeta) speaker. Genitive case of Marko is always "Marka".

Селаковић:

--- Цитат: НиколаВук  Август 23, 2020, 11:23:00 поподне ---Genitive case of Rade would be "Rada" or "Radeta", depending on whether you're an Ijekavian (Rada) or Ekavian (Radeta) speaker. Genitive case of Marko is always "Marka".

--- Крај цитата ---

"Radeta" is not Ekavian per se. "Rada" is still the norm in my Ekavian hometown of Valjevo, for example.  :D

Навигација

[0] Индекс порука

[#] Следећа страна

[*] Претходна страна

Иди на пуну верзију