Дискусије на страним језицима > English language subforum

Origin of the first Serbs that arrived in Central and North America?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Amicus:

--- Цитат: aleksandar I  Новембар 07, 2016, 08:27:33 пре подне ---I’d say this is a very interesting topic, Amikus. I took a little interest in Djordje Shagich and found a book by Marko and Dusan Lopusina “Serbs in America”...
--- Крај цитата ---

Thank you Alexandar for this interesting review about this fascinating man. :)

I tried to figure out some more information about his Surname and Origin, considering that George Shagich is born is Stoni Beograd (hu. Székesfehérvár), and I found that there were several Ságics living in Taban (also called Ratzenstatt), Serbian colony in Budim.

For example I found some Joannes Sagics (ser. Jovan Shagich) mentioned as some kind of builder of the Terms in 1814, but also his probably relative Pál Ságics (ser. Pavle Shagich) mentioned in 1824, in the same context of the building Terms.

Taban in mid-1800s

There is an interesting letter written in Cyrillic by Stephan Ságics (old. ser. Стефанъ Шагичъ) in 1811, but also the name of János Ságics from Saint Andre (hu. Szentendre), mentioned in 1782 as a owner of butchery (also in newspapers Gábor Ságics).

In Baranya County there are some toponyms near village of Villany that indicate historical presence of Shagics in that region, like Ságics-kut (eng. Shagics well) or Ságics-rét (eng. Shagics meadow). I looked for some Shagics in censuses of Baranya from 18. century, but found nothing (1701, 1712, 1735, 1766...), which means that they probably lived there before 18. century (I also didn't found anything in publicated censuses from late 17. century).

Beside these Shagics in Baranya, this surname is recorded also in Hódmezővásárhely in Csongrad County, where Pavle Shagich is mentioned as one of donators for building an Orthodox Church in 1783. In booklet of Serbian Orthodox Church in Hódmezővásárhely Shagics are grouped in families whose origin is from Arad, Csanád or Krassó-Szörény counties (see map).

For some more information, we should research censuses of these counties, which probably have some connection to these Northern Shagics.

Amicus:
I forgot to place this in the last post... So, as I mentioned, Jovan and Pavle were builders of the Terms, and here are two plans that they made for Terms in Taban.

aleksandar I:
Here's something about Serbian journalism in America in the 19th century.
The first part of the chapter about Illyrian Slavjani:

"The first organization of “Illyrian Slavjani”, or Dalmatian emigrants from Boka Kotorska, in America, was the Slav-Illyrian Support Society. It was founded in 1859 in San Francisco. The Society acted as an insurance company to which the Serbs invested money into a community deposit safe for purposes of pension and necessary aid in the difficult times of emigration.

Serbs, Russians and Greeks would gather in the Greko-russo-slav parish starting 1864, and then in the joint Russo-Serbian support society of San Francisco. The activist in the parish were Nikola Dabovic, Luka Zenovic and Savo Martinovic, while the ensuring company had Djordje Shagich and Nikola Gregoric. Their paper “Slavjan” was running in 1871 in Russian, Serbian and Greek. As a token of gratitude for his support in the fight for independency of Greece, King Djordje I named Shagich first Greek consul in California in year 1870."

Amicus:
I found one interesting text about First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, as it says the oldest Serbian organization in America, founded in 1880 as Serbian-Montenegrain Literary and Benevolent Society

The Society was founded to promote socieal and intellectual interchange, and establish a system of general philanthropy and benevolence for Serbian immigrant laborers.

Eight founding members were Antonije Vukasovich, Jovan Jovovich, Jovan Pavkovich, Krsto Gopcevich, Rade Begovich and Vladimir Jovovich, all from Boka Kotorska, George S. Martinovich from Montenegro, and Mikhail Rashkovich from Vojvodina.

From these eight founders, the Serbian-Montenegrin Literary and Benevolent Society grew to a membership of three-hundred and four at the time of its twenty-fifth anniversary. In 1909, following the Annexation Crisis, it merged with the Serbian Benevolent Society “Zmaj” (organized 1904) and gained close to two-hundred additional members. On the eve of the First World War, the society numbered over six-hundred members. Before the formation of the new Yugoslav state in 1918, the society changed its name to the First Serbian Benevolent Society. In 1924, the Serbian-Montenegrin Society from Angels Camp, California, joined the First Serbian Benevolent Society.

Today, this Society has a membership well over three hundred, and it remains the largest Serbian organization in California.

From these family names to us well know is the name of Gopcevich, old merchant family from Herceg Novi, whose best known members were Hrisifor Gopcevich (1765-1850) and his second son Spiridon Gopcevich (1815-1861). Their ancestors mentions in records from mid 18th century or earlier (for example, Simo and Gligor Gopcevich, 1768).

Krsto Gopcevich, mentioned in the article was from a near by village Orahovac, and he also had a brother Bozo Gopcevich, who was one of the founders and editors of magazine Srbin Amerikanac.

These two families are very probably of one origin. For those from Herceg Novi, we can also say that one of their branches moved to Trieste in early 19th century, where they become one of most welath families, whose members left several cultural and social foundations in the Trieste.

Spiridon Gopcevich, his second son became most known after his ethnographic researches in Southern Serbia and Macedonia, whose literal and cartographic works we published on our site.

Синиша Јерковић:

--- Цитат: Amicus  Новембар 08, 2016, 09:10:34 поподне ---I found one interesting text about First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, as it says the oldest Serbian organization in America, founded in 1880 as Serbian-Montenegrain Literary and Benevolent Society

The Society was founded to promote socieal and intellectual interchange, and establish a system of general philanthropy and benevolence for Serbian immigrant laborers.

Eight founding members were Antonije Vukasovich, Jovan Jovovich, Jovan Pavkovich, Krsto Gopcevich, Rade Begovich and Vladimir Jovovich, all from Boka Kotorska, George S. Martinovich from Montenegro, and Mikhail Rashkovich from Vojvodina.

From these eight founders, the Serbian-Montenegrin Literary and Benevolent Society grew to a membership of three-hundred and four at the time of its twenty-fifth anniversary. In 1909, following the Annexation Crisis, it merged with the Serbian Benevolent Society “Zmaj” (organized 1904) and gained close to two-hundred additional members. On the eve of the First World War, the society numbered over six-hundred members. Before the formation of the new Yugoslav state in 1918, the society changed its name to the First Serbian Benevolent Society. In 1924, the Serbian-Montenegrin Society from Angels Camp, California, joined the First Serbian Benevolent Society.

Today, this Society has a membership well over three hundred, and it remains the largest Serbian organization in California.

From these family names to us well know is the name of Gopcevich, old merchant family from Herceg Novi, whose best known members were Hrisifor Gopcevich (1765-1850) and his second son Spiridon Gopcevich (1815-1861). Their ancestors mentions in records from mid 18th century or earlier (for example, Simo and Gligor Gopcevich, 1768).

Krsto Gopcevich, mentioned in the article was from a near by village Orahovac, and he also had a brother Bozo Gopcevich, who was one of the founders and editors of magazine Srbin Amerikanac.

These two families are very probably of one origin. For those from Herceg Novi, we can also say that one of their branches moved to Trieste in early 19th century, where they become one of most welath families, whose members left several cultural and social foundations in the Trieste.

Spiridon Gopcevich, his second son became most known after his ethnographic researches in Southern Serbia and Macedonia, whose literal and cartographic works we published on our site.

--- Крај цитата ---

This Gopcevich Trieste family had very unfortunate fate. Interesting story about this family is in documentary on 9:20

https://www.youtube.com/v/D2dgdQKDm2E

Навигација

[0] Индекс порука

[#] Следећа страна

[*] Претходна страна

Иди на пуну верзију