Аутор Тема: Need Assistance Researching Serbian Family  (Прочитано 1970 пута)

Ван мреже Denise

• Гост
  • Поруке: 2
Need Assistance Researching Serbian Family
« послато: Мај 16, 2019, 10:03:29 поподне »
My name is Denise Loomis from the USA. I am trying to find any information on my Serbian (maternal) family.  Here’s what I have:

My mother was Elizabeth (Popovich) Rapczak.  Born in Kewanee, Illinois, USA in 1925.  It’s her parents and grandparents I’m researching.

Maternal grandmother Milica Vidakovich Popovich (April 6, 1881 - January 5, 1942). Milica immigrated to the USA on September 4, 1913 settling in my hometown of Kewanee, Illinois. Her immigration record indicates she immigrated from Sas in Croatia with her young son Jacko, my uncle.

Milica was married in September, 1901 to my maternal grandfather Milos Popovich (September 15, 1877 – August 26, 1946).   Milos also immigrated from Sas in Croatia around 1906 and settled in Kewanee, Illinois. Both Milica and Milos died and are buried in Kewanee, Illinois, USA. They died before I was born.

Milica’s parents are listed as Joseph and Violet (Milokovich) Vidakovich but I have no other information on them.

Milos’s parent are listed as Marka and Stella Popovich but I have no other information.

I appreciate any information you can provide for my research and how I may locate records.

Ван мреже Делија

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
  • Поруке: 1354
  • I2-PH908-Z16983>A493>A8741* (Никољдан, Панчево)
Одг: Need Assistance Researching Serbian Family
« Одговор #1 послато: Мај 16, 2019, 10:22:43 поподне »
My name is Denise Loomis from the USA. I am trying to find any information on my Serbian (maternal) family.  Here’s what I have:

My mother was Elizabeth (Popovich) Rapczak.  Born in Kewanee, Illinois, USA in 1925.  It’s her parents and grandparents I’m researching.

Maternal grandmother Milica Vidakovich Popovich (April 6, 1881 - January 5, 1942). Milica immigrated to the USA on September 4, 1913 settling in my hometown of Kewanee, Illinois. Her immigration record indicates she immigrated from Sas in Croatia with her young son Jacko, my uncle.

Milica was married in September, 1901 to my maternal grandfather Milos Popovich (September 15, 1877 – August 26, 1946).   Milos also immigrated from Sas in Croatia around 1906 and settled in Kewanee, Illinois. Both Milica and Milos died and are buried in Kewanee, Illinois, USA. They died before I was born.

Milica’s parents are listed as Joseph and Violet (Milokovich) Vidakovich but I have no other information on them.

Milos’s parent are listed as Marka and Stella Popovich but I have no other information.

I appreciate any information you can provide for my research and how I may locate records.

Hello Denis and welcome to Serbian DNA project.

I think you meaned a village with name Šaš but nos Sas. This village is near Sisak and city Kostajnica.
On this cite you should found Serbian orthodox church books which are in croatia today.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=9RKB-BZ7%3A391644701%3Fcc%3D2040054
I suggest you to look books for Kostajnica or to wait someone from our cite Poreklo who knows better places in croatia.
Рацко Панчево 1764- Опово (1765-1790)- Црепаја (1790-1912)-Панчево

BigY DNK: Максим Животин Панчевац (1735-1784), Живота Поповић 1710-? : I2 PH908>Z16983>A493>A8741*

Мтднк : Јовановић-Бећаров Софија, Војка, Никољдан (1896): U5b1b1-b*

Ван мреже Бећар

• Члан Друштва
  • Помоћник
  • Поруке: 169
« Одговор #2 послато: Мај 18, 2019, 01:03:14 пре подне »
Hi Denise, and welcome to Poreklo forum. Šaš is a village in central Croatia, in the municipality of Sunja, Sisak-Moslavina County. It used to have 82% Serbian population up to 1991.  Demographic percentages for Serbian people before 1941 are probably similar or higher. The situation there is different now.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Village_%C5%A0a%C5%A1_(Croatia).JPG

Village Šaš is very close to Jasenovac Concentration Camp (1941-45) and there is a history of atrocity on Serbian villages in this area. You should prepare for the possible tragic end of some of your Serbian ancestors.  You can research more here:
https://secure.ushmm.org/online/hsv/person_advance_search.php?SourceId=45409&showForm=1&MaxPageDocs=25&start_doc=16676

Here is the proper spelling of family names you are researching: Popović, Miloković, and Vidoković (Поповић, Милoковић, и Видoковић).  These family names all appear in www.FamilySearch.org for the period you described. Since Šaš is a very small village, you should also look in neighboring villages.

If you decide to become a Poreklo member, there are some books covering this geographic region that could provide more information on earlier migration (escaping from Ottoman atrocities 1400-1800 in Southern Serbia, Hercegovina ...).  With help from Poreklo memebers, you could possibly search your family names further back if you are looking for DNA connections or forming your family tree.
« Последња измена: Мај 18, 2019, 01:08:14 пре подне Бећар »

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • Поруке: 9508
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #3 послато: Мај 18, 2019, 11:19:17 пре подне »
According to the census from 1948 in village Šaš there were just one person with surname Popović. (Leksik prezimena SR Hrvstske, Zagreb, 1976, pg. 523).

Ван мреже Denise

• Гост
  • Поруке: 2
« Одговор #4 послато: Мај 20, 2019, 01:48:52 пре подне »
According to the census from 1948 in village Šaš there were just one person with surname Popović. (Leksik prezimena SR Hrvstske, Zagreb, 1976, pg. 523).