Аутор Тема: Origin of the first Serbs that arrived in Central and North America?  (Прочитано 10332 пута)

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • Поруке: 9508
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
Origin of the first Serbs that arrived in Central and North America?
« послато: Новембар 02, 2016, 05:24:00 поподне »
On several topics here, we had discussions about famous families from our South (Ohmuchievich, Masibradich, Martolosich, Jakovljevich, Skochibucha, Sagroevich), who were well know overseas sailors of their time, but we never hadn't discussion about their participation in conquest of the New World.

After the Columbus's discovery of America (1492), some of the most powerful maritime merchant fleets of that time were those of Spain and Ragusa. These two states are especially important to us because our first contacts to New World came right through these two maritime states.

At first, Ragusa was a state leaned on Serbian Lands in its background, from where came most of its that time population (esspecialy after fall of Bosnia in 1463, and Herzegovina 1482), and second, Spain of that time was a state that recruited many sailors from Ragusa to its maritime service.

So in short period after first expeditions to New World, people from our lands started to participate in sailings across the Atlantic, and probably were the first one from these parts of World who left their genetic traces in the Central and North America.

These practices are continued through whole 16, 17, and 18th century (it is possible that some Serbs took participation in American War for Independence also, we have some records from 1781, where is mentioned count Vecsovich from Venice, who is expected to brought more Dalmatians), but first Serbian settlements aren't recorded before the start of 19th century. It is the time when we have the first recordings of Serb settling in New Orleans, mostly sailors and fishermen from Montenegro and Herzegovina, who immigrated to New Orleans seeking employment.

In the same time, Serbs are settling in Alabama and Mississippi, and as well as in California, where they joined the Gold Rush.

First larger Serb settlements are recorded in last decades of 19th century, when they were leaving maritime regions of Austria-Hungary, but also its other parts (Bosnia, Slavonia, Hungary...), and settling mostly in California, which had climate similar to that of the Dalmatian coast.

One of first Serbian settlers was Djordje Shagich (ser. Ђорђе Шагић), also known as Djordje Ribar, or in English George Fisher (born in Stolni Beograd, Hungary), who came to United States after fall of First Serbian Uprising (1804-1813), and in following years made a great political career.

In a short period, many other Serbs start arriving to United States, which is possible to trace through immigration records where they were recording variously, mostly by their country of origin, because of what we find the recorded also as: Turks, Bulgarians, Croats, Slovenes, Montenegrins, Dalmatians, Bosnians, Herzegovinians and Austro-Hungarians. Through the census from 1910 we can ascertain that just in USA there were more than 50.000 Serbs (dominantly from Austro-Hungary)

In attachment I'm sending few maps for better understanding of political occasions in the time of Spanish king Phillip II (1556–98), of the time before American War of Independence, political borders of modern North America, and approximately ethnic and political borders of Balkans in first decade of 19th century.

And in some new posts, I'll try to extract some past and modern American surnames that originate from our Lands, with information where exactly are they from.
« Последња измена: Новембар 02, 2016, 05:26:24 поподне Amicus »

Синиша Јерковић

• Гост
Одг: Origin of the first Serbs that arrived in Central and North America?
« Одговор #1 послато: Новембар 02, 2016, 06:37:52 поподне »
At first, Ragusa was a state leaned on Serbian Lands in its background, from where came most of its that time population (esspecialy after fall of Bosnia in 1463, and Herzegovina 1482), and second, Spain of that time was a state that recruited many sailors from Ragusa to its maritime service.

So in short period after first expeditions to New World, people from our lands started to participate in sailings across the Atlantic, and probably were the first one from these parts of World who left their genetic traces in the Central and North America.

These practices are continued through whole 16, 17, and 18th century (it is possible that some Serbs took participation in American War for Independence also, we have some records from 1781, where is mentioned count Vecsovich from Venice, who is expected to brought more Dalmatians), but first Serbian settlements aren't recorded before the start of 19th century.

Interesting topic, Amicus.

I would only like to mention that famous Serbian astronomer and physicist from Ragusa, Rudjer Boskovic was supporter of American Revolution and that he met with Benjamin Franklin during his visit in London 1760-61.

Source: The Ragusan Perceptions of America XVI-XVIII centuries, Dragoljub R. Zivojinovic

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #2 послато: Новембар 03, 2016, 12:46:49 пре подне »
Interesting topic, Amicus.

I would only like to mention that famous Serbian astronomer and physicist from Ragusa, Rudjer Boskovic was supporter of American Revolution and that he met with Benjamin Franklin during his visit in London 1760-61.

Source: The Ragusan Perceptions of America XVI-XVIII centuries, Dragoljub R. Zivojinovic

Thank you Sinisha for you you contribution. ;)

I also wanted to mention one excellent source for starting family origin researches, which is well known Liberty Ellis Foundation, on which site we can research all entries to United States at that spot (Ellise Island) from the end of 19th to the second half of 20th century.

For me, it was interesting to check inquiries like: Bosniak, Bosnyak, Szerb, Racz, Dalmatin. Many of them are from different parts of today Hungary, what was expected, but it is interesting that there were a lot of migrations from inner parts of Austria-Hungary. But also, it is interesting to find Bosniaks/Bosnyaks from Poland, who could be some descents from those man took from Bosnia for military service in armies of Middle Europe states, like Poland, Prussia, Bavaria, Denmark, that were recruited through centuries from the end 17th to early 20th century.

Source: Johann David von Dzingel: Geschichte des königlichen Zweiten Ulanen Regiments, Potsdam, 1858

Ван мреже aleksandar I

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
  • Поруке: 974
  • I2-Z16982
« Одговор #3 послато: Новембар 07, 2016, 08:27:33 пре подне »
I’d say this is a very interesting topic, Amikus. I took a little interest in Djordje Shagich and found a book by Marko and Dusan Lopusina “Serbs in America”. There I read loads of interesting info about Djordje Shagich Fisher. So, I’d like to join the discussion with certain pieces of information about this intriguing Serb in America. I find parts about his involvement in revolutions in Mexico and Texas especially curious, as well as about the author of the memoires, who is thought to be the founder of adventure genre.

Chapter Illyrian Slavjani

By founding the Serbian newspapers “Slavjan” in San Francisco the editor Djordje Shagich tried to inform the American public about the problems of orthodox Serbs and Greeks in the Balkans under Turkish rule......

Livingston recognized Fisher not only as a person who took part in revolutions in Mexico and Texas mid-19th century, but as the author of “Memoires”, which represent the first instance of the adventure genre in the United States. When Livingston wrote his first book about prominent Americans in 1853, he included Shagich, or George Fuisher as one of top 200 most respected American individuals. So in his book “Portraits of Eminent Americans Now Living” he wrote:

George fisher is the greatest living linguist, considering he speaks 18 languages. He speeks Serbian, Hungarian, German, Greek, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian fluently, and speaks many other languages such as Latin, Russian, polish, Czech, Slovakian, Moravian, Croatian, Dalmatian, Montenegrian, and others.”

Historian Thomas Strieter form Huston wrote about Shagich and said the following:

“He is a linguist, adventurer with physical and psychological prowess and daring, a conman. A boisterous self-adoring fan, eager to see his name in the press, almost a blackmailer. Fisher is one of the most unusual characters to lean toward Texas and one that took the most inspiration out of it for his annals”.

Djordje Shagich and Freemasonry

There is evidence that the pioneer of our emigration to America, man officially noted in 1815 as the first serbian emigrant, Djordje Shagic, was a mason. When stayed in Mexico and Texas in 1825, which, as that time was a part of the Mexican state, Shagich founded the first mason group Jorkions. Some Serbs even consider Djordje Shagich, alias George Fisher, was sent to US form Germany to spread Freemasonry. This Serb even founded masonic lounges in Panama and California while they were parts of the Kingdom of Mexico, making him the perfect man of the job. When Texas secured its independence, Shagich, in summer of 1848, together with Edwin Moor form Texas Navy, traveled as a spokesperson for the Grand Freemason Lounge of Texas. ....

An interesting book, written in Serbian.

Source: Srbi u Americi

Ван мреже Wolf Sagash

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
  • Поруке: 1363
« Одговор #4 послато: Новембар 07, 2016, 08:36:01 пре подне »
World War I Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient.
Jake Allex Mandusich

screenshot program

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #5 послато: Новембар 07, 2016, 01:26:38 поподне »
I’d say this is a very interesting topic, Amikus. I took a little interest in Djordje Shagich and found a book by Marko and Dusan Lopusina “Serbs in America”...

Thank you Alexandar for this interesting review about this fascinating man. :)

I tried to figure out some more information about his Surname and Origin, considering that George Shagich is born is Stoni Beograd (hu. Székesfehérvár), and I found that there were several Ságics living in Taban (also called Ratzenstatt), Serbian colony in Budim.

For example I found some Joannes Sagics (ser. Jovan Shagich) mentioned as some kind of builder of the Terms in 1814, but also his probably relative Pál Ságics (ser. Pavle Shagich) mentioned in 1824, in the same context of the building Terms.

Taban in mid-1800s

There is an interesting letter written in Cyrillic by Stephan Ságics (old. ser. Стефанъ Шагичъ) in 1811, but also the name of János Ságics from Saint Andre (hu. Szentendre), mentioned in 1782 as a owner of butchery (also in newspapers Gábor Ságics).

In Baranya County there are some toponyms near village of Villany that indicate historical presence of Shagics in that region, like Ságics-kut (eng. Shagics well) or Ságics-rét (eng. Shagics meadow). I looked for some Shagics in censuses of Baranya from 18. century, but found nothing (1701, 1712, 1735, 1766...), which means that they probably lived there before 18. century (I also didn't found anything in publicated censuses from late 17. century).

Beside these Shagics in Baranya, this surname is recorded also in Hódmezővásárhely in Csongrad County, where Pavle Shagich is mentioned as one of donators for building an Orthodox Church in 1783. In booklet of Serbian Orthodox Church in Hódmezővásárhely Shagics are grouped in families whose origin is from Arad, Csanád or Krassó-Szörény counties (see map).

For some more information, we should research censuses of these counties, which probably have some connection to these Northern Shagics.

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #6 послато: Новембар 07, 2016, 02:11:37 поподне »
I forgot to place this in the last post... So, as I mentioned, Jovan and Pavle were builders of the Terms, and here are two plans that they made for Terms in Taban.

Ван мреже aleksandar I

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
  • Поруке: 974
  • I2-Z16982
« Одговор #7 послато: Новембар 07, 2016, 03:56:29 поподне »
Here's something about Serbian journalism in America in the 19th century.
The first part of the chapter about Illyrian Slavjani:

"The first organization of “Illyrian Slavjani”, or Dalmatian emigrants from Boka Kotorska, in America, was the Slav-Illyrian Support Society. It was founded in 1859 in San Francisco. The Society acted as an insurance company to which the Serbs invested money into a community deposit safe for purposes of pension and necessary aid in the difficult times of emigration.

Serbs, Russians and Greeks would gather in the Greko-russo-slav parish starting 1864, and then in the joint Russo-Serbian support society of San Francisco. The activist in the parish were Nikola Dabovic, Luka Zenovic and Savo Martinovic, while the ensuring company had Djordje Shagich and Nikola Gregoric. Their paper “Slavjan” was running in 1871 in Russian, Serbian and Greek. As a token of gratitude for his support in the fight for independency of Greece, King Djordje I named Shagich first Greek consul in California in year 1870."

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #8 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:10:34 поподне »
I found one interesting text about First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, as it says the oldest Serbian organization in America, founded in 1880 as Serbian-Montenegrain Literary and Benevolent Society

The Society was founded to promote socieal and intellectual interchange, and establish a system of general philanthropy and benevolence for Serbian immigrant laborers.

Eight founding members were Antonije Vukasovich, Jovan Jovovich, Jovan Pavkovich, Krsto Gopcevich, Rade Begovich and Vladimir Jovovich, all from Boka Kotorska, George S. Martinovich from Montenegro, and Mikhail Rashkovich from Vojvodina.

From these eight founders, the Serbian-Montenegrin Literary and Benevolent Society grew to a membership of three-hundred and four at the time of its twenty-fifth anniversary. In 1909, following the Annexation Crisis, it merged with the Serbian Benevolent Society “Zmaj” (organized 1904) and gained close to two-hundred additional members. On the eve of the First World War, the society numbered over six-hundred members. Before the formation of the new Yugoslav state in 1918, the society changed its name to the First Serbian Benevolent Society. In 1924, the Serbian-Montenegrin Society from Angels Camp, California, joined the First Serbian Benevolent Society.

Today, this Society has a membership well over three hundred, and it remains the largest Serbian organization in California.

From these family names to us well know is the name of Gopcevich, old merchant family from Herceg Novi, whose best known members were Hrisifor Gopcevich (1765-1850) and his second son Spiridon Gopcevich (1815-1861). Their ancestors mentions in records from mid 18th century or earlier (for example, Simo and Gligor Gopcevich, 1768).

Krsto Gopcevich, mentioned in the article was from a near by village Orahovac, and he also had a brother Bozo Gopcevich, who was one of the founders and editors of magazine Srbin Amerikanac.

These two families are very probably of one origin. For those from Herceg Novi, we can also say that one of their branches moved to Trieste in early 19th century, where they become one of most welath families, whose members left several cultural and social foundations in the Trieste.

Spiridon Gopcevich, his second son became most known after his ethnographic researches in Southern Serbia and Macedonia, whose literal and cartographic works we published on our site.

Синиша Јерковић

• Гост
« Одговор #9 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:18:38 поподне »
I found one interesting text about First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, as it says the oldest Serbian organization in America, founded in 1880 as Serbian-Montenegrain Literary and Benevolent Society

The Society was founded to promote socieal and intellectual interchange, and establish a system of general philanthropy and benevolence for Serbian immigrant laborers.

Eight founding members were Antonije Vukasovich, Jovan Jovovich, Jovan Pavkovich, Krsto Gopcevich, Rade Begovich and Vladimir Jovovich, all from Boka Kotorska, George S. Martinovich from Montenegro, and Mikhail Rashkovich from Vojvodina.

From these eight founders, the Serbian-Montenegrin Literary and Benevolent Society grew to a membership of three-hundred and four at the time of its twenty-fifth anniversary. In 1909, following the Annexation Crisis, it merged with the Serbian Benevolent Society “Zmaj” (organized 1904) and gained close to two-hundred additional members. On the eve of the First World War, the society numbered over six-hundred members. Before the formation of the new Yugoslav state in 1918, the society changed its name to the First Serbian Benevolent Society. In 1924, the Serbian-Montenegrin Society from Angels Camp, California, joined the First Serbian Benevolent Society.

Today, this Society has a membership well over three hundred, and it remains the largest Serbian organization in California.

From these family names to us well know is the name of Gopcevich, old merchant family from Herceg Novi, whose best known members were Hrisifor Gopcevich (1765-1850) and his second son Spiridon Gopcevich (1815-1861). Their ancestors mentions in records from mid 18th century or earlier (for example, Simo and Gligor Gopcevich, 1768).

Krsto Gopcevich, mentioned in the article was from a near by village Orahovac, and he also had a brother Bozo Gopcevich, who was one of the founders and editors of magazine Srbin Amerikanac.

These two families are very probably of one origin. For those from Herceg Novi, we can also say that one of their branches moved to Trieste in early 19th century, where they become one of most welath families, whose members left several cultural and social foundations in the Trieste.

Spiridon Gopcevich, his second son became most known after his ethnographic researches in Southern Serbia and Macedonia, whose literal and cartographic works we published on our site.

This Gopcevich Trieste family had very unfortunate fate. Interesting story about this family is in documentary on 9:20

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D2dgdQKDm2E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D2dgdQKDm2E</a>

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #10 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:30:29 поподне »
This Gopcevich Trieste family had very unfortunate fate. Interesting story about this family is in documentary on 9:20

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D2dgdQKDm2E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D2dgdQKDm2E</a>

From some reason I don't have voice here? But thanks for sharing this video. It looks interesting. Some of these things are mentioned in the book Genti di San Sporidone i Serbi a Trieste 1751-1914. ;)

Синиша Јерковић

• Гост
« Одговор #11 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:43:24 поподне »
From some reason I don't have voice here? But thanks for sharing this video. It looks interesting. Some of these things are mentioned in the book Genti di San Sporidone i Serbi a Trieste 1751-1914. ;)

Прича о Гопчевићима личи заиста као породично проклетство. Родоначелник Христифор, случајно из пушке, убија дијете неког Вучетића у Боки. У Трсту касније пред црквом тражи опрост крви. Његов потомак постаје најбогатији Србин Трста, бродоградитељ и трговац житом, и у једном дану губи сво богатство, али и разум , умире као умоболник. Његов син Спиридон имао је двоје дјеце, сина и ћерку. Син се убија због неузвраћене љубави, а ћерка након што је појела сладолед умире.

Породица која је некад правила бродове и посједовала најљепшу палату у Трсту, у потпуности је изумрла, а занимљиво је да се ни за њихове гробове уопште не зна. За Спиридона Гопчевића, писца, не зна се ни кад ни гдје је умро.

The story of Gopčević'с looks really like a family curse. The founder Christopher, accidentally from a rifle, kill a child of some Vučetić in the Boka Bay. In Trieste later in the church he asks for forgiveness of blood. His descendant becomes richest Serb in Trieste, shipbuilder and grain merchant , and in one day he loss all the wealth, but also common sense, dying as a madman. His son Spiridon had two children, a son and a daughter. Son kills himself because of unrequited love, and a daughter after eating ice cream dies.

A family that once made ships and possessed the most beautiful palace in Trieste, completely died out, and it is interesting that neither one of their graves is known. For Spiridon Gopčević, a writer, it is not known when or where he died.
« Последња измена: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:47:44 поподне Синиша Јерковић »

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #12 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 09:47:56 поподне »
Прича о Гопчевићима личи заиста као породично проклетство. Родоначелник Христифор, случајно из пушке, убија дијете неког Вучетића у Боки. У Трсту касније пред црквом тражи опрост крви. Његов потомак постаје најбогатији Србин Трста, бродоградитељ и трговац житом, и у једном дану губи сво богатство, али и разум , умире као умоболник. Његов син Спиридон имао је двоје дјеце, сина и ћерку. Син се убија због неузвраћене љубави, а ћерка након што је појела сладолед умире.

Породица која је некад правила бродове и посједовала најљепшу палату у Трсту, у потпуности је изумрла, а занимљиво је да се ни за њихове гробове уопште не зна. За Спиридона Гопчевића, писца, не зна се ни кад ни гдје је умро.

Благо речено, језива прича. :-X

Ван мреже Жика

• Познавалац
  • Поруке: 579
« Одговор #13 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 10:04:30 поподне »
Perhaps the curse has more with his wheat-trading practise to do, and not with the confessed manslaughter.

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #14 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 10:21:03 поподне »
Perhaps the curse has more with his wheat-trading practise to do, and not with the confessed manslaughter.

What exactly did you have on mind? :o

Ван мреже Жика

• Познавалац
  • Поруке: 579
« Одговор #15 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 10:35:41 поподне »
What exactly did you have on mind? :o

Behind every great fortune there is a crime. :'( (Balzac)

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #16 послато: Новембар 08, 2016, 10:38:11 поподне »
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. :'( (Balzac)

Yes, I understand now.  ::)

Ван мреже Wolf Sagash

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
« Одговор #17 послато: Новембар 09, 2016, 08:43:31 пре подне »
The life of St. Sebastian of Jackson

(1863-1940)

This apostle of North America was the first American born Orthodox priest. His parents, Ilija and Jelena Dabovic, were the first recorded immigrants on the West Coast. They lived in San Francisco, operated a small shop, and were blessed with seven children. St. Sebastian was their fourth child who at baptism received name John. He was born on June 21, 1863. His ministry in the Church started at early age. After he finished high school he served his parish as a reader and teacher. Before he was sent to Russia, he spent time in Sitka, Alaska, assisted with parish ministries at St. Archangel Michael Cathedral. After three years of study at the St. Petersburg and Kiev Theological Academies, John was tonsured a monk and received monastic name Sebastian in 1887.

That same year he was ordained a hierodeacon. He served as deacon at the San Francisco Cathedral until Bishop Nicholas ordained him a priest on August 16, 1892. As newly ordained Hieromonk Fr. Sebastian tirelessly preached the Gospel, served Divine Liturgies, counseled and established many parishes throughout the country. During his life he conveyed the light of liturgical certainty and calm to a world that was spiritually hungry and suffering. Archbishop Tikhon asked Fr. Sebastian to lead a Serbian mission in the North American diocese, elevated him to archimandrite on August 15, 1905, and sent him to Chicago, Illinois, where this holy man served as parish priest. In 1910, he asked for release from the parish so that he could return to missionary work. Having spent three years at the newly opened St. Platon Seminary in Tenafly, New Jersey, he went back to Serbia to serve as a chaplain in the Serbian army in the Balkan Wars and WW I. After his brief visit to the Unites States of America in 1915 and 1917, the rest of his life he spent in Serbia where he peacefully reposed in monastery Zicha on November 30, 1940, having his earthly remains laid to rest there until they were exhumed and translated to Jackson, California, on September 1, 2007, at St. Sava Church, the oldest and one of many Serbian Orthodox Churches in America that he founded in 1894. Fr Sebastian built up souls, organized the Church, erected houses of prayer, and was devoted to charitable work. In addition to establishing many churches, St. Sebastian also wrote many articles and sermons. His last spoken words and wish were: The Heavenly Kingdom without end! Meaning: the kingdom of the virtues whence the miracle of eternal surprises bursts forth. The Holy Assembly of Bishops of the Serbian Orthodox Church during its regular session held from May 14-29, 2015 inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit decided that his name be added to the Diptych of saints of the Holy Orthodox Church. From the Holy archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich (1863-2013) we realize how historical predicaments become a starting point for knowledge of God and spontaneous praise.

From the celebration of the glorification of Sts Mardarije and Sebastian may droplets of consolation fall upon the heart of those who, living in the heart of America, seek what is fair and hones

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #18 послато: Новембар 09, 2016, 12:30:46 поподне »
His parents, Ilija and Jelena Dabovic, were the first recorded immigrants on the West Coast.

Is there maybe some information about their origin?

Ван мреже Wolf Sagash

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач
« Одговор #19 послато: Новембар 09, 2016, 03:17:29 поподне »
Is there maybe some information about their origin?
Sasovici, Herceg-Novi

Ван мреже Wolf Sagash

• Члан Друштва
  • Истраживач

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
« Одговор #22 послато: Новембар 11, 2016, 08:57:09 поподне »
From the celebration of the glorification of Sts Mardarije and Sebastian may droplets of consolation fall upon the heart of those who, living in the heart of America, seek what is fair and hones

Bishop Mardarije (Uskokovic)

The First Serbian Bishop of America and Canada

Bishop Mardarije was born in Podgorica on December 22, 1889, his father, Pero, being a tribal captain and mother Jela, nee Bozovic. He finished elementary school in Cetinje where he started high school, continuing in Belgrade. Leaving high school in his fifth year, he went to Studenica Monastery. In 1906, with the blessing of Bishop Sava (Barac) of Zica, he took monastic vows and was ordained a deacon. He graduated from the Seminary in Kisenjev where a collection of his sermons was published. From here he went to St. Petersburg, graduating from the Theological Academy in 1916.

More on: Serbica Americana

Ван мреже Онај с ону главу

• Шегрт
  • Поруке: 74
  • Е, па да!
« Одговор #23 послато: Новембар 29, 2019, 03:20:49 пре подне »
The Western hemisphere is highly overrated.

I say that a citizen of a country situated in it.