Аутор Тема: Questions about this book: Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u i socijalističkoj  (Прочитано 1499 пута)

Ван мреже Michelle Batalo Mills

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
  • Поруке: 98
Questions about this book: Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u i socijalističkoj
« послато: Август 20, 2020, 10:39:53 поподне »
Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u i socijalističkoj izgradnji, Book 2

In my never-ending quest to find and trace the Batalo lines....I happened upon this book during a random google search.
I found the book in electronic form on another website. 

How is this volume different than the lists of deceased that Poreklo has in it's library?   This volume seems to have more  victims listed.   I clicked on the information box and it seems like the lists in Poreklo library come from the Museum of genocide victims.   Are the lists extracted from this book?   This book also differs in that it doesn't have the person's ID number after it.

For instance this was an entry in the Kotar book I found on google (compared to what the entry looks like in what is in Poreklo library.)  I didn't see this person in the document in Poreklo.  (Tobolic. BATALO Damjana BOZO, 1865, seljak, Srbin. Ubile ga ustaše u Zagrebu 30. 7. 1941.)

Thank you.

Ван мреже Amicus

• Уредник
  • Бели орао
  • Поруке: 9508
  • I1 P109 FGC22045
    • Порекло.рс
Одг: Questions about this book: Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u i socijalističkoj
« Одговор #1 послато: Август 20, 2020, 10:56:42 поподне »
The "most complete" lists of the victims in the Second world war in Yugoslavia are those that you saw published by Museum of Genocide. However, those lists are far from perfect, and that is probably the reason why you have found more names in the book Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u then in the first mentioned lists.

It could also be that the name exists in the lists, but it is registered in some other settlement.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
Одг: Questions about this book: Kotar Slunj i kotar Veljun u NOR-u i socijalističkoj
« Одговор #2 послато: Август 21, 2020, 02:16:19 пре подне »
Oh ok.  I understand.  Maybe it is listed in another list due to village.  Heartbreaking nonetheless.  My dad's "cousin" Milanko in amercia was son of Damyen from Tobolic.  I am guessing Bozo was his brother. 
Thank you again for clarifying.  Google can translate words but cannot put things in to context.

Ван мреже Миодраг

• Шегрт
  • Поруке: 86
« Одговор #3 послато: Август 21, 2020, 03:36:44 пре подне »
Oh ok.  I understand.  Maybe it is listed in another list due to village.  Heartbreaking nonetheless.  My dad's "cousin" Milanko in amercia was son of Damyen from Tobolic.  I am guessing Bozo was his brother. 
Thank you again for clarifying.  Google can translate words but cannot put things in to context.

Michelle, with due respect, how logical is it to you that your father's cousin (brother of Milanko, whom you know for sure to be your father's cousin), to wit: someone from roughly the same generation as your father, was born in 1865? That would mean your father would need to be born in the 1860s to 1880s at the latest and then you would have to be born in maybe the 1900s to 1910s. Is this the case? Are you over 100 years old?

Perhaps this Damjan, the father of Božo who was murdered by the Ustashe regime, had a brother, and that brother had a son whom he named Damjan after his brother, but who was born in the 1870s or maybe even 1880s and than thsi Damjan had a son Milanko born in the 1910s or 1920s who was your father's cousin? That sounds much more plausible to me.

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #4 послато: Август 21, 2020, 03:11:34 поподне »
I appreciate the insight.  When I used the word "cousin" I used it loosely.  Quick backstory that puts this a little more into context.
*Me < my father (83 years old) date of birth 1937 < grandfather Miladin date of birth 1902 < great grandfather Pavao date of birth 1878.
*Pavao came to America.  They lived in a small town called Weirton WV.  (Bigger steel mills were in Pittsbugh and many offshoots were in surrounding towns such as this.)   There were a substantial amount of Serbian immigrants to Pittsburgh and the surrounding towns.
*Miladin had 3 sons (born 1927, 1932, and 1937) spanning before, during and after the Great Depression.  Miladin didn't have an education so he was day laborer having to work very hard and work was not always consistent.  Therefore they were very  poor. 
I scour every reference of a Batalo in American documents.  Batalo is actually a fairly uncommon name today in the US. 
     Whenever I would find a Batalo reference I would question my father.  I found a Milanko (Mike) Batalo (1891-1963) born of Damyen and  Kata from Tobolic who lived and died in Weirton WV.  My father said...yes.  That was a cousin.  He was a bachelor and had a really good job.  One time my mom reached out and we borrowed money from him.
     So based on the date of birth for Milanko....and his father being Damyen AND him being from Tobolic..... I have hypothesized that Bozo was the brother of Milanko. 
     Where I think this actually fits into my family tree?   I hypothesize that Pavao and Damyen were first cousins.  Their fathers were brothers.   Will I ever be able to prove this factually?  Maybe...maybe not.  But because of all of the obstacles I face in directly searching my family line...I can only use deductive reasoning and try to prove or disprove my hypothesis.
     I do appreciate your feedback.  My initial comment didn't make a lot of sense at face value.  Also...even if my hypothesis is perfect...it doesn't mean it is fact.  So I greatly rely on input, knowledge and perspective from others....so please always weigh in because it helps me.   :)

Ван мреже Миодраг

• Шегрт
« Одговор #5 послато: Август 21, 2020, 03:35:25 поподне »
There are 55 Batalos listed as either visitors to, or residents in, Belgrade between I believe 1919 and 1952 on https://www.digitalni.arhiv-beograda.org/search.php#results and some of them might be related to you.

I tried to send you a printscreen of that search, but it is apparently impossible to attach a picture here on the site, either in the forum or in a private message, just a link to a picture that is uploaded somewhere else.
« Последња измена: Август 21, 2020, 03:37:44 поподне Миодраг »

• Члан Друштва
  • Шегрт
« Одговор #6 послато: Август 21, 2020, 04:06:54 поподне »
VERY THANKFUL for this!  New jackpot of leads and information!   Thank you very much.  If any other online research avenue pops into your head...please let me know.   It is a wealth of information...some will not be pertinent....but some will be missing puzzle pieces to me.

Ван мреже Миодраг

• Шегрт
« Одговор #7 послато: Август 24, 2020, 12:54:24 пре подне »
VERY THANKFUL for this!  New jackpot of leads and information!   Thank you very much.  If any other online research avenue pops into your head...please let me know.   It is a wealth of information...some will not be pertinent....but some will be missing puzzle pieces to me.

Sure thing and you're welcome.