Аутор Тема: A match named "Miskulin"  (Прочитано 7756 пута)

marko_mihajlo

• Гост
A match named "Miskulin"
« послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 06:15:37 поподне »
Hi everybody. It's a very long time I haven't posted. Since then , I met nice people that post here such as Vuksan, Aleksandar M etc...

I have 2 questions :

-A match "Joseph Michael Miskulin"appeared in my dna relative list. Y DNA I2a2 per 23andme nomenclature. My mother has 4 segments in common with him as shown on the following image while I have 2. http://s28.postimg.org/jtrr9hv3x/miskulin2.png

My grandmother has also 2 segments in common with Miskulin with suggest that my mother is related to him both paternally and maternally. I noticed the same phenomenon with Željko.

Well, I believe this is his wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Miskulin "Joseph M. Miskulin". There is high chance it's the same person on the DNA relative list. Can't confirm definitely though, he didn't reply.

So question is... is he more likely Serbian or Croatian ?

-Second question : My serbian is bad, I can understand simple sentences but writing is not possible. I'd like to join discussions here . Am I allowed to write in english ? Or it's only on that specific english forum ? Anyway, Nevski offered kindly his help for translations.

Thanks.

I-P109

• Гост
Одг: A match named "Miskulin"
« Одговор #1 послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 06:54:09 поподне »
Hi everybody. It's a very long time I haven't posted. Since then , I met nice people that post here such as Vuksan, Aleksandar M etc...

I have 2 questions :

-A match "Joseph Michael Miskulin"appeared in my dna relative list. Y DNA I2a2 per 23andme nomenclature. My mother has 4 segments in common with him as shown on the following image while I have 2. http://s28.postimg.org/jtrr9hv3x/miskulin2.png

My grandmother has also 2 segments in common with Miskulin with suggest that my mother is related to him both paternally and maternally. I noticed the same phenomenon with Željko.

Well, I believe this is his wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Miskulin "Joseph M. Miskulin". There is high chance it's the same person on the DNA relative list. Can't confirm definitely though, he didn't reply.

-Second question : My serbian is bad, I can understand simple sentences but writing is not possible. I'd like to join discussions here . Am I allowed to write in english ? Or it's only on that specific english forum ? Anyway, Nevski offered kindly his help for translations.

Thanks.

It's not that easy to give a straightforward answer. There is only cultural difference between people identifying as Croats and people identifying as Serbs. Everything else, language, genetics, etc. is the same. The tale tell sign is usually one's religious affiliation, but even that has shortcomings as people were forcibly converted to each of the three major religions in western Balkans for centuries. To top that, many people have mixed backgrounds. Region of the former Yugoslavia was quite a melting pot in its own way. That's precisely why people are gentically indistinguishable.

marko_mihajlo

• Гост
« Одговор #2 послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 08:17:28 поподне »
There are surnames that sound more Bosnian ,Croatian or Serbian, it's simple curiosity as I can't get the information either from wikipedia or the account of that match at 23andme.

Broadly yes ,Balkan people are close to each other ,nonetheless, if we look closer "  genetically indistinguishable" I will not agree, there are still slight differences, either autosomally or by distribution in Y DNA. On a pca plot, like for exemple those from Aleksandar Nevski, or those from Doug Mcdonald or using calculators at Gedmatch or whatever scientific publication about population genetics,  Croats tend to cluster more with Hungarians or Czech while Serbians tend to cluster more with Romanians or Bulgarians. Same on 23andme ancestry composition, Croatians tend to get higher percentage of "eastern_european" admixture component which is built from Hungarians, Russians, Polish, Ukrainians DNA samples.  But again this is slight and it does not makes me feel sad or happy about that, it's just an observation.

On the other hand I have plenty matches from ex-yougoslavian countries, whatever they self-identify nowadays either by nationality or by religion I have one common ancestor with them. This is the norm for everybody from balkan, I agree on that.

Ван мреже Александар Невски

• Редакција СДНКП
  • Истраживач
  • Поруке: 1136
« Одговор #3 послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 09:03:38 поподне »
Broadly yes ,Balkan people are close to each other ,nonetheless, if we look closer "  genetically indistinguishable" I will not agree, there are still slight differences, either autosomally or by distribution in Y DNA. On a pca plot, like for exemple those from Aleksandar Nevski, or those from Doug Mcdonald or using calculators at Gedmatch or whatever scientific publication about population genetics,  Croats tend to cluster more with Hungarians or Czech while Serbians tend to cluster more with Romanians or Bulgarians. Same on 23andme ancestry composition, Croatians tend to get higher percentage of "eastern_european" admixture component which is built from Hungarians, Russians, Polish, Ukrainians DNA samples.  But again this is slight and it does not makes me feel sad or happy about that, it's just an observation.

You are very right, on for example K12b Croats and Moslems tend to go over 41% of North European in most cases, while Serbs are usually under 41%, even western Serbs. On the other hand, Serbs tend to have 2-3% more of Atlantic-Mediterranenan on same K12b.
Србски пѣсник Лаза Костић: "у млазових прочитам сричући" "по уздасих тако први' у јунака реч поврви"

I-P109

• Гост
« Одговор #4 послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 09:06:33 поподне »
There are surnames that sound more Bosnian ,Croatian or Serbian, it's simple curiosity as I can't get the information either from wikipedia or the account of that match at 23andme.

On the other hand I have plenty matches from ex-yougoslavian countries, whatever they self-identify nowadays either by nationality or by religion I have one common ancestor with them. This is the norm for everybody from balkan, I agree on that.

Yet, if you look at some of the PCA plots for autosomal DNA and go into such minuscule differences, you will notice that Serbs from Bosnia overlap with Bosniaks and are closer to some Croats than to some Serbs from Serbia. Even so, they all tend to be closer than two borderline Frenchmen from the opposite sides of the French spectrum are to each other.

Family name Miskulin could be both Croatian or Serbian from Pannonia, but also Dalmatian, just by the sound of it. And you don't necessarily need to be connected to that person through his paternal line carrying Miskulin family name. It could be through some other line of his.

Orthodoxia1453

• Гост
« Одговор #5 послато: Септембар 28, 2015, 11:29:54 поподне »
Surname MIŠKULIN is Croatian in most cases.

This surname is very frequent in LIKA area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika).
According to informations from 1915. there were 130 houses of this clan in 19 different places of that area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika-Krbava_County).
According to informations from Stjepan Pavičić and few others authors Miškulin clan belong to Bunjevci group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunjevci). We have few tested persons from Bunjevci group and in most cases they belong to I2a2 haplogroup.

marko_mihajlo

• Гост
« Одговор #6 послато: Септембар 29, 2015, 04:14:28 поподне »
Thank you guys for the answers.